Wednesday, March 19, 2008

2008 Tournament Preview

I have been unable to post very much for the blog, due to other commitments such as column writing for another site, babysitting, doing my taxes, and oh yeah, school. Still, I’d like to post and explain my picks for the NCAA Tournament. I couldn’t figure out how to copy/past my entire bracket, so I’ll just write them out.

East

1-North Carolina over 16-Mt. Saint Mary’s
8-Indiana over 9-Arkansas
5-Notre Dame over 12-George Mason
4-Washington State over 13-Winthrop
11-St. Joseph’s over 6-Oklahoma
3-Louisville over 14-Bosie State
10-South Alabama over 7-Butler
2-Tennessee over 15-American

1-North Carolina over 8-Indiana
5-Notre Dame over 4-Washington State
3-Louisville over 11-St. Joseph’s
2-Tennessee over 10-South Alabama

1-North Carolina over 5-Notre Dame
3-Louisville over 2-Tennessee

1-North Carolina over 3-Louisville

BREAKDOWN: In past years, the #1 overall seed had the easiest road to the Final Four. Last year, Florida’s bracket had the worst two and four seeds. Yet for some reason, North Carolina got the toughest two seed, one of the best three seeds and the top five seed. Their road to San Antonio won’t be easy- round 2 versus Indiana has a chance to be a great game- but I think the Tar Heels get it done.


Midwest

1-Kansas over 16-Portland State
9-Kent State over 8-UNLV
5-Clemson over 12-Villanova
4-Vanderbilt over 13-Siena
11-Kansas State over 6-USC
3-Wisconsin over 14-Cal St. Fullerton
10-Davidson over 7-Gonzaga
2-Georgetown over 15-UMBC

1-Kansas over 9-Kent State
5-Clemson over 4-Vanderbilt
3-Wisconsin over 11-Kansas State
10-Davidson over 2-Georgetown

1-Kansas over 5-Clemson
3-Wisconsin over 10-Davidson

3-Wisconsin over 1-Kansas

BREAKDOWN: After picking Kansas in the Final Four two of the past three seasons, I promised myself I would not be suckered into Bill Self’s squad once again in 2008. So I’m taking the best of the Big Ten, the Wisconsin Badgers, who play maybe the best D in the land. As for my big upset in the region, I like Davidson going to the Sweet 16 led by a great backcourt and a nice home-court advantage.


South

1-Memphis over 16-Texas Arlington
8-Mississippi State over 9-Oregon
5-Michigan State over 12-Temple
4-Pittsburgh over 13-Oral Roberts
6-Marquette over 11-Kentucky
3-Stanford over 14-Cornell
10-St. Mary’s over 7-Miami
2-Texas over 15-Austin Peay

1-Memphis over 8-Mississippi State
4-Pittsburgh over 5-Michigan State
6-Marquette over 3-Stanford
2-Texas over 10-St. Mary’s

1-Memphis over 4-Pittsburgh
2-Texas over 6-Marquette

2-Texas over 1-Memphis

BREAKDOWN: I think this is the toughest of the four regions, with any of the top 6 seeds going on a nice run and winning the region. I’m going with the Longhorns because of their great guard play and tough defense, though that matchup with Memphis scares me a bit because the Tigers are so talented. Not too many upsets here, except I like Marquette to make a surprise trip to the Sweet 16.


West

1-UCLA over 16-Mississippi Valley State
8-BYU over 9-Texas A&M
5-Drake over 12-Western Kentucky
4-UConn over 13-San Diego
6-Purdue over 11-Baylor
3-Xavier over 14-Georgia
7-West Virginia over 10-Arizona
2-Duke over 15-Belemont

8-BYU over 1-UCLA
4-UConn over 5-Drake
3-Xavier over 6-Purdue
7-West Virginia over 2-Duke

4-UConn over 8-BYU
3-Xavier over 7-West Virginia

4-UConn over 3-Xavier

BREAKDOWN: Yeah, you’re reading that correctly. Both the one and two seeds will go down in the second round. I think UCLA is way overrated- in the past 20 days they have won two games on lucky calls (or non-calls) by the refs and two others by three points- plus they are battling injuries. And Duke is so reliant on the three-point shot, it seems unlikely they’ll be able to hold up. I like UConn’s depth on the perimeter and experienced coaching to make it to San Antonio. (The site of the Huskies last national title, when, by coincidence, they went through Phoenix)


Final Four

1-North Carolina over 3-Wisconsin
2-Texas over 4-UConn

2-Texas over 1-North Carolina

BREAKDOWN: In all honesty, I think the Tar Heels are a better team than the Longhorns. They have more talent, more depth, and I don’t know who on UT matches up with Tyler Hansbrough. But my first rule of brackets is never take the favorite, because then you are competing with too many people who don’t follow basketball and just like the teams on the top line. I’ve picked Texas to win it all before- in 2003 when they fell in the National semi-final to Syracuse- so this isn’t new territory for either of us. Hopefully they can Hook ‘Em this season.

No comments: